General Information on the Causes of Failure of Dental Implantation
Dental implants are the best remedy to replace missing tooth as a customised tooth is surgically embedded in its place. Many people have been benefitted from dental implants however there are failures reported too. There are multiple reasons behind the unsuccessful implants.
Failure effects can be for short duration or long duration.
- Short term failure issues – In short term failure, the bone doesn’t heal quickly usually known as Osseointegration. It can happen due to diabetic symptoms, smoking, gum disease and poor oral hygiene. The problems can be treated by removing the implant and doing a bone graft. Healing of the tissues and bones may take few months before the implantation can be done again.
- Long term unsuccessful issues – This is the most common issue and in dental terms it is known as peri-implantitis. Often this type of issue occurs when the implanted part is healed and the implant has been placed successfully on the integrated bone. Peri- implantitis may happen due to chronic gum diseases slowly affecting the teeth. Then it may cause bleeding in the gums and pus formation. Treatment includes laser therapies, frequently cleaning the affected portion, having antibiotics and lastly surgery to restore it again. Other failures can occur after a long time like broken screw and fractured restoration.
The symptoms of failure dental implant:
- Pain in the jaw and teeth.
- Loss of bone.
- Issue in mobility of the jaw in which the teeth is implanted.
- Gums starts bleeding and sometimes there is fuss formation.
What causes the dental implant failure?
- Not implanted in healthy gums and the right string bones.
- A thin and soft bone can’t support the brackets of the implant.
- Even the height of the jaw isn’t enough to support the implantation could be a reason. The solution is to have bone graft done or a sinus lift.
Once the implant has been set, the need to keep them healthy becomes the main priority. You need to keep your dental hygiene extremely well. Inter dental area clean and water flosser are best to use in order to maintain oral hygiene. Smoking and chewing tobacco should be stopped. Follow up visits to dental clinic is required to be done twice a month.
For implant dentaire to last longer make sure to have it done by a skilled dentist. To know how to take care of the implants log on to sites that provide info on dental care.